1 – The 1988 Amendments to the Rules on Criminal Procedure take effect (BM 375)
2 – In 1976, the Court’s 40th Associate Justice and its 6th Chief Justice, Hon. Jose Y. Yulo, passed away.
3 – National elections for the first bicameral Philippine Legislature are held in 1916
4 – The Court of Appeals is re-established in 1946 (RA 52)
7 – The Constitutional Commission approves a six-year term for President Corazon C. Aquino and Vice President Salvador H. Laurel in 1986
– In 2008, the Supreme Court rules that the right to security of person is “freedom from fear,” a guarantee of bodily and psychological integrity or security, and a guarantee of protection of one’s rights by the government in G.R. No. 180906 (Secretary of National Defense v. Manalo)
8 – In 2013, SC allows first audio livestream pro hac vice of the oral argument in the Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) cases in G.R. Nos. 208493, 208560 & UDK-14951 (Alcantara v. Drilon)
10 – In 1984, the Court’s 38th Associate Justice and its 8th Chief Justice, Hon. Ricardo M. Paras, passed away.
13 – In 2004, the Court’s 80th Associate Justice and its 13th Chief Justice, Hon. Enrique M. Fernando, passed away.
– The Court of Customs Appeals is abolished and its functions are transferred to Courts of First Instance in 1905 (Act 1405)
– Tecla San Andres, the first woman bar topnotcher, is admitted to the Bar in 1930
14 – The Japanese-sponsored Philippine Republic is inaugurated with Jose P. Laurel as President in 1943
15 – In 1948, the Court’s 150th Associate Justice and its 23rd Chief Justice, Hon. Renato C. Corona, was born.
– The Court of Appeals Cebu Station is inaugurated in 2004
18 – Chief Justice Lucas P. Bersamin retires
The Supreme Court sponsors the Global Forum on Liberty and Prosperity in 2006
20 – The Code of Judicial Conduct takes effect in 1989
21 – Hon. Querube C. Makalintal is appointed as 11th Chief Justice in 1973
24 – In 1927, the Court’s 111th Associate Justice and its 18th Chief Justice, Hon. Marcelo B. Fernan, was born.
The Rule on the Writ of Amparo takes effect in 2007
27 – In 1893, the Court’s 36th Associate Justice and its 7th Chief Justice, Hon. Manuel V. Moran, was born.
– In 1989, the Supreme Court rules that former President Corazon C. Aquino acted in compliance with her duty as President under the Constitution to protect the people’s interest and welfare when she decided to bar the return of the Marcoses and the remains of former President Ferdinand E. Marcos to the Philippines in G.R. No. 88211 (Marcos et al. v. Manglapus et al.)
28 – The Family Court Act of 1997 (RA 8369) is passed
29 – Hon. Cecilia Muñoz Palma is appointed the first woman Justice of the Supreme Court in 1973
– The Court of Industrial Relations is created in 1936
30 – In 1995, the Supreme Court upholds the constitutionality of R.A. No. 7716, or the Expanded Value-Added Tax Law in G.R. No. 115455 (Tolentino v. Secretary of Finance)
31 – Proclamation No. 1105, s. 2015 declares October 31, 2016 as an additional special non-working day.
In 2013, the Court’s 112th Associate Justice and its 19th Chief Justice, Hon. Andres R. Narvasa, passed away.
– Chief Justice Victorino M. Mapa retires in 1921