1 – Mandatory Continuing Legal Education (MCLE) Implementing Regulations take effect in 2001
– The Rules of Criminal Procedure (AM 00-5-03-SC) take effect in 2000
2 – The Rules of the Presidential Electoral Tribunal take effect in 2005
6 – Chief Justice Marcelo B. Fernan resigns from his post in 1991 to run as president of the country
– Chief Justice Artemio V. Panganiban retires in 2006
7 – In 1936, the Court’s 137th Associate Justice and its 21st Chief Justice, Hon. Artemio V. Panganiban, was born.
– Reynato S. Puno is appointed as 22nd Chief Justice in 2006
– Chief Justice Hilario G. Davide, Jr. presides over the impeachment trial of President Joseph E. Estrada in 2001
– The Japanese bomb Pearl Harbor, signaling the outbreak of the Pacific War in 1941
8 – FEAST OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION OF MARY
– Hon. Andres R. Narvasa is appointed as 19th Chief Justice in 1991
– The Revised Penal Code is passed in 1930 (Act 3815)
10 – The Spanish-American War ends with the signing of the Treaty of Paris in 1898
– The Judicial and Bar Council (JBC) is formally convened in 1987
– In 1990, the Supreme Court rules that “Constitutional rights must be upheld at all costs” and that these “may not be set aside to satisfy perceived illusory visions of national grandeur” in G.R. No. 69863-65 (Brocka et al. v. Enrile et al.)
15 – The final document of the Pact of Biak-na-Bato is signed, creating a truce between Spanish and Filipino forces, in 1897
19 – The Law Student Practice Rule (Rule 138-A) is promulgated in 1986
20 – In 1935, the Court’s 124th Associate Justice and 20th Chief Justice, Hon. Hilario G. Davide, Jr., was born.
– Chief Justice Hilario G. Davide, Jr. retires in 2005
– Hon. Artemio V. Panganiban is appointed as 21st Chief Justice in 2005
22 – In 1910, the Court’s 74th Associate Justice and 11th Chief Justice, Hon. Querube C. Makalintal, was born.
– Chief Justice Querube C. Makalintal retires in 1975
23 – President Emilio F. Aguinaldo signs the Malolos Constitution in 1898
– In 1920, the Court’s 1st Associate Justice and Chief Justice, Hon. Cayetano S. Arellano, passed away.
24 – Proclamation No. 845, s. 2019 declares December 24, 2020 as an additional special non-working day
– Chief Justice Ramon Q. Avanceña resigns in 1941
– Jose B. Abad Santos is appointed as 5th Chief Justice in 1941
– President Manuel L. Quezon transfers the seat of the Commonwealth government to Corregidor in 1941
25 – CHRISTMAS DAY
30 – RIZAL DAY
– Chief Justice Jose Abad Santos administers the oath to President Manuel L. Quezon for his second term as President of the Philippine Commonwealth in Corregidor in 1941
– President Ferdinand E. Marcos and Vice President Fernando Lopez are inaugurated into office for a second term in 1969
31 – Proclamation No. 845, s. 2019 declares the last day of the year as a special non-working day